Thursday, June 30, 2011

Neuro-health Lifestyle Changes




So over the years a lot of doctors have given me a lot of suggestions for 'lifestyle changes' that would help my headaches, and give me more energy. Such suggestions have included:

Put on weight
Lose weight
Eat more veggies
Take vitamin D
Don't drink caffeine after noon
Don't drink caffeine at all
Get more sleep
No artificial sweeteners
Exercise more
Get massages
Take vitamins
Don't take vitamins
Drink caffeine

The list goes on... I've tried all these things, and nothing seems to ever help. This has left me very cynical about so called 'lifestyle changes'. But in a final shot while approaching surgery I'm trying one last bout of changes that my neurosurgeon recommends. I'm taking vitamins, sleeping as well as I can, dropping weight, trying to exercise through by debilitating fatigue, and worst of all - dieting.

This particular diet is unlike anything I've ever tried before in that it's ridiculously extreme and restrictive. It's called the paleolithic (meaning pre-agricultural), or 'caveman' diet. It's designed so that I can only eat foods my ancestors would have eaten. Things the human body is meant to eat. This means no dairy. No grains. No refined sugars. No artificial sweeteners. So what does that leave? Meat, eggs, nuts, fruit, and veggies. Oh but guess what? I don't eat meat, so just eggs, nuts, fruit, and veggies.


I've been doing it about a month now and have not seen any results, but keep being told "it takes time, it won't help over night". Let me tell you this though - my gastric tract HATES me. There's been days where I eat nothing but watermelon and peanuts. You can imagine the rest. I never realized how important grains were to me before doing this. I think 80% of my diet used to be grain-based, but since grains need to be sewn and aren't pre-agricultural. That's a no-no.

Doing some research I've found that people do this more strictly and trace it back to their actual ancestral roots to eat only natural foods of that region. Being of Scottish decent, if you exclude meat, what does this mean? Potatoes and turnips? Even worse, some people go so far as to not cook their food. So....raw potatoes and turnips. Yum.

I keep wondering after surgery if the doctor will request the hospital feed me paleolithic meals. That's going to be a lot of fruit salad. But hey - no need to worry about that pre-discharge B.M. they're requesting of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment